The crawl space has an integral role towards a home’s overall value as well as the living space above. Most homeowners in Rolling Acres Nashville don’t think twice about their crawl space unless they have to make repairs to plumbing, heating ducts or house wiring. While often thought of as no more than a storage area, it also has a tremendous impact on the overall indoor air quality of the entire home.
The Best Basement Waterproofing In Rolling Acres TN
By default, the air quality of a crawl space is typically poor. Mold, mildew, radon gas and poor energy efficiency all create several problems. The air that circulates within it eventually makes its way up through the living space. Scientific studies show that up to 50% of living space air originates from the lowest level of the home. With homeowners more concerned about their home’s indoor air quality, the encapsulating of crawl spaces has become a popular solution for such problems.
A damp crawl space creates a safe harbor for harmful molds, in addition to dust mites, termites and other bugs that can infest the home. The presence of excessive moisture will also create a serious problem with the probability for the wooden structure of a home to deteriorate. Crawl space vents pose a further problem. While believed to be a solution to moisture problems, they, unfortunately, make the problem worse. As it turns out, the vents allow cold air and moisture in, which rises into the living area and therefore decreases the heating efficiency of the entire home.
Another all-too-common problem associated with crawl spaces is radon gas. Though it cannot be seen, smelled or tasted, radon is a radioactive gas that can contribute to poor health, including cancer. Radon gas makes its way through the earth, into the crawl space and the home’s living space. According to the U.S.E.P.A., radon gas is the number one leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.
Ignoring these various conditions is not recommended for both long-term health and energy usage. Fully encapsulating a crawl space – by both sealing and insulating – is a fully efficient measure in addressing such problems. It makes sense to maintain and improve the lower level area in order to maximize healthy living conditions and home resale value.
While there are several systems for encapsulating, a zero perm liner system that also insulates and reflects heat provides the most benefits. With a proper floor and wall liner, the area will not only be well insulated but will seal out moisture, bug infestation, and radon gas. Other components to look for in a system include a radon gas-dispersing drain fabric, a radon gas ventilation pipe, and a ceiling heat shield.
A complete system with all of the above components will allow any soil gasses – including radon gas – that naturally occur under the liner system, to wick through the drain fabric and escape out through the ventilation pipe. While improved indoor air quality is the primary benefit of a sealed and insulated crawl space, the homeowner will also appreciate a bright, clean, and dry storage area; the ridding of musty smells; less energy usage; and tax credits. Contractors encapsulating crawl spaces will have more to offer to their clients when they can assure the peace of mind with improved indoor air quality.
DIY Basement Foundation Repair
1) Lower your energy costs: A crawl space encapsulation insulates the walls of your crawl space and conditions the air under your home. This results in a 10% to 20% annual savings on your power bill. Encapsulation is one of the few home repairs that pay for itself!
2) Increased home comfort: By conditioning the air in your crawl space your floors will not be cold in the wintertime. This is especially nice for hardwood floors and tile bathrooms. It also keeps your home from feeling humid and stuffy in the summertime.
3) No more musty odors: A crawl space encapsulation eliminates moisture under your home. This means no musty odors being pumped into your home through the air conditioning unit.
4) Increase the air quality of your home: By eliminating moisture under the house, you are no longer getting humid unconditioned air into your home. Encapsulation promotes air circulation throughout the home.. If your air conditioner is located under the house, it is no longer pumping mold spores throughout the home.
5) Air Conditioner lasts longer: Another way encapsulation saves you money is by improving the longevity of your heating and cooling equipment. Humidity increases the load on your air conditioner and causes trunk lines and air ducts to rust.
6) Minimize Repairs: Crawl space encapsulation eliminates moisture under your home. This moisture is the source of many problems from insulation damage, mold and mildew outbreaks, structural damage, and equipment damage from rust.
7) Eliminate insect infestations: By reducing moisture you eliminate a key ingredient that insects such as termites need to survive. No longer will your crawl space be a conducive condition to harbor ugly creepy crawlies in your home.
8) Extra storage space: Most people do not store much in the crawl space because it gets damp, rusts and damages about everything. An encapsulated crawl space becomes a moisture free environment that is perfect for storing anything and everything. Adding 1000 sq ft to 2000 sq ft of storage space always helps.
9) Increase the value of your home: An encapsulation system greatly increases the value of your home. It also makes your home easier to sell. Your home has no moisture issues for the home inspector to find and you have proof of energy efficiency and the lower energy bills your home produces.
10) Tax incentives and rebates: The federal government offers tax rebates for insulation products that improve the energy consumption of you home. Local power companies sometimes offer rebates on your power bill to improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Crawl Space Vapor Barriers
The foundation of your house depends on a strong basement. Basement waterproofing prevents water from penetrating into the basement area Waterproofing your basement is mandatory or else it could lead to structural damages and collapsing drywall.
Given below are 5 reasons why basement waterproofing is essential:
" Structural damage: Water seepage is very common problem in basements; especially if you live in wet areas with moist soil. If you do not take proper preventive measures for this problem then it could lead to structural damages to your property. You find seepage mainly in the corners where the wall meets the floor. This process is typically slow and won't show immediate consequences but if ignored then it could cause major damages such as bowed walls and cracked foundation. Basement waterproofing is very important to treat wet basements. Timely preventions can save you from disastrous structural damages.
" Infestations: If you live in an area where there are black molds, then it becomes absolutely essential to waterproof your basement. Damp areas are a breeding ground for waterborne contaminants such as black mold. All kinds of mold can grow between walls and under padding of wet carpets; the worst kinds are the black molds. It is very toxic and can cause death. If basement waterproofing is not done in time them these infestations keep breeding in the wet areas which can cause major health hazards. You may even have to abandon the house if the professionals are not able to take care of the infestations.
" Natural calamities: If you live in an area where there is heavy rainfall or in hurricane areas, basement waterproofing becomes very essential. These areas are prone to flooding; as a result, water is very likely to enter the basement. Rainwater can penetrate through cracks in the wall causing seepage. Also when flood water collects around the foundation walls, water collects in small pockets in the soil next to the foundation and starts forming hydrostatic pressure. Over the time this pressure increases until the water is pushed through the wall. Thus basement waterproofing becomes necessary in such areas.
" Damage to property: Most of us keep a lot of stuff in the basement like furniture, books, equipments, etc. sometimes there are workshops or even wine cellars down in the basement. But if the basement is not waterproofed then water seepage can cause a lot of damage to your property. Wooden furniture rots when it gets damp. Expensive items could be damaged due to dampness. It you plan to use your basement for important purposes then it becomes even more essential to waterproof your basement.
" Sloping and grading: It's important to know if the ground around your house is sloping away from your foundation. The soil outside should meet the walls; if it doesn't then the water can penetrate between the gaps. In this case you have to hire a professional grader to help slope the ground downhill and away from your house. But as preventive measures it is best to waterproof your basement just in case you do not detect the sloping around your house instantly.
Basement waterproofing can be expensive but it's worth the cost to prevent you from irreparable damages in the future.
Crawl Space Masters Specializes In Crawl Space Encapsulation in Rolling Acres TN.