The crawl space has an integral role towards a home’s overall value as well as the living space above. Most homeowners in Oakland Acres Nashville don’t think twice about their crawl space unless they have to make repairs to plumbing, heating ducts or house wiring. While often thought of as no more than a storage area, it also has a tremendous impact on the overall indoor air quality of the entire home.
The Best Waterproofing Crawl Space In Oakland Acres TN
By default, the air quality of a crawl space is typically poor. Mold, mildew, radon gas and poor energy efficiency all create several problems. The air that circulates within it eventually makes its way up through the living space. Scientific studies show that up to 50% of living space air originates from the lowest level of the home. With homeowners more concerned about their home’s indoor air quality, the encapsulating of crawl spaces has become a popular solution for such problems.
A damp crawl space creates a safe harbor for harmful molds, in addition to dust mites, termites and other bugs that can infest the home. The presence of excessive moisture will also create a serious problem with the probability for the wooden structure of a home to deteriorate. Crawl space vents pose a further problem. While believed to be a solution to moisture problems, they, unfortunately, make the problem worse. As it turns out, the vents allow cold air and moisture in, which rises into the living area and therefore decreases the heating efficiency of the entire home.
Another all-too-common problem associated with crawl spaces is radon gas. Though it cannot be seen, smelled or tasted, radon is a radioactive gas that can contribute to poor health, including cancer. Radon gas makes its way through the earth, into the crawl space and the home’s living space. According to the U.S.E.P.A., radon gas is the number one leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.
Ignoring these various conditions is not recommended for both long-term health and energy usage. Fully encapsulating a crawl space – by both sealing and insulating – is a fully efficient measure in addressing such problems. It makes sense to maintain and improve the lower level area in order to maximize healthy living conditions and home resale value.
While there are several systems for encapsulating, a zero perm liner system that also insulates and reflects heat provides the most benefits. With a proper floor and wall liner, the area will not only be well insulated but will seal out moisture, bug infestation, and radon gas. Other components to look for in a system include a radon gas-dispersing drain fabric, a radon gas ventilation pipe, and a ceiling heat shield.
A complete system with all of the above components will allow any soil gasses – including radon gas – that naturally occur under the liner system, to wick through the drain fabric and escape out through the ventilation pipe. While improved indoor air quality is the primary benefit of a sealed and insulated crawl space, the homeowner will also appreciate a bright, clean, and dry storage area; the ridding of musty smells; less energy usage; and tax credits. Contractors encapsulating crawl spaces will have more to offer to their clients when they can assure the peace of mind with improved indoor air quality.
DIY Basement Foundation Repair
1) Lower your energy costs: A crawl space encapsulation insulates the walls of your crawl space and conditions the air under your home. This results in a 10% to 20% annual savings on your power bill. Encapsulation is one of the few home repairs that pay for itself!
2) Increased home comfort: By conditioning the air in your crawl space your floors will not be cold in the wintertime. This is especially nice for hardwood floors and tile bathrooms. It also keeps your home from feeling humid and stuffy in the summertime.
3) No more musty odors: A crawl space encapsulation eliminates moisture under your home. This means no musty odors being pumped into your home through the air conditioning unit.
4) Increase the air quality of your home: By eliminating moisture under the house, you are no longer getting humid unconditioned air into your home. Encapsulation promotes air circulation throughout the home.. If your air conditioner is located under the house, it is no longer pumping mold spores throughout the home.
5) Air Conditioner lasts longer: Another way encapsulation saves you money is by improving the longevity of your heating and cooling equipment. Humidity increases the load on your air conditioner and causes trunk lines and air ducts to rust.
6) Minimize Repairs: Crawl space encapsulation eliminates moisture under your home. This moisture is the source of many problems from insulation damage, mold and mildew outbreaks, structural damage, and equipment damage from rust.
7) Eliminate insect infestations: By reducing moisture you eliminate a key ingredient that insects such as termites need to survive. No longer will your crawl space be a conducive condition to harbor ugly creepy crawlies in your home.
8) Extra storage space: Most people do not store much in the crawl space because it gets damp, rusts and damages about everything. An encapsulated crawl space becomes a moisture free environment that is perfect for storing anything and everything. Adding 1000 sq ft to 2000 sq ft of storage space always helps.
9) Increase the value of your home: An encapsulation system greatly increases the value of your home. It also makes your home easier to sell. Your home has no moisture issues for the home inspector to find and you have proof of energy efficiency and the lower energy bills your home produces.
10) Tax incentives and rebates: The federal government offers tax rebates for insulation products that improve the energy consumption of you home. Local power companies sometimes offer rebates on your power bill to improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Crawl Space Encapsulation Systems DIY
Crawl spaces are proven to be one of the most convenient floor setups because they can provide sufficient space for air conditioning, ventilation and heating systems, but vapor can really destroy your crawl space, and this is where a crawl space vapor barrier can help you.
Too much moisture under your home can be a real headache as this can affect the structure of your home. Mold and mildew not only destroy your crawl space but they can spread to your wooden flooring and carpet too. By installing a crawl space vapor barrier, you are leaving no room for mold and mildew to survive under your home. This way, you can maintain the strength and aesthetics of your home for several years.
A disappointing fact that I have observed is that many homeowners often underestimate the importance of installing moisture controllers and by the time they realize the importance, it will be too late. Termites and molds would have eaten up a good part of their crawl space. Second scenario is even worse: homeowners who find out that their home structure is under serious threat will install a vapor barrier, without ever considering its quality. Apart from wasting a significant amount of money, you will be left with no results because such insulations won't work well more than a few years and in some cases, only a couple of months.
If you do not miss the nitty-gritty of a professional installation, you can lead a healthy life in your home for several decades.
· Measurement: Before buying the barrier, you need to measure the length, width and height of your crawl space. This will give you an estimate on how much barrier sheet you need. It's always a good idea to buy some extra so that you won't run short on materials even if you wasted some sheet.
· Energy Efficiency: There are two benefits in buying energy efficient liner sheet. They will help you to save a good amount on energy bills, which will provide you excellent comfort in your home and the second advantage is the tax benefits. I have noticed that some store owners stress on the cheaper price and mislead their buyers on the long-term benefits of energy efficient sheets. You will be using them for several years and an energy efficient insulation will cut down your energy bills significantly all these years.
· Product Quality: Ideally, sheets with 60mil thickness provide you the best protection. Your sheet should provide you a minimum warranty of 20 years and it should be antimicrobial, rodent proof and termite proof. If you can't see these certifications on the sheets, you most likely are going to face a huge loss.
These are some of the important things to be considered when you are on the lookout for a crawl space vapor barrier. Needless to say, maintaining your home is the best idea compared to buying a new one because you can significantly improve the living quality of your home for a much lower cost. By installing energy efficient barriers with tax benefits, you are also fulfilling your social responsibility of conserving energy.
Crawl Space Masters Specializes In Crawl Space Encapsulation in Oakland Acres TN.