Crawl Spaces in Nashville have been always around, but they became increasingly popular when homeowners started to recognize the improved convenience they have. Compared to the conventional floor setups and concrete floors, crawlspaces granted easy access to the plumbing setup and air ducts, and repairing them became effortless. Moreover, crawlspaces were also used as a storage facility. However, like any good thing in the world, crawlspaces also have its fair share of problems: trapped moisture, vermin, termites, and carpenter ants; invasion of wildlife and accumulation of foul gases to name a few.
Crawl Space Remediation Nashville
I’ve been doing crawl space encapsulation in Nashville for more than two decades now. A good number of correspondences I have addressed were always concerning the foul smell and bad odors that are generated from crawlspaces. It’s imperative to recognize the root causes behind such foul odors and we need to work on strategies that will eliminate the root causes. Crawlspace encapsulation is relatively a new technique which will help you to protect your crawl space, and the health of your family. However, you need to know how to choose the right encapsulation system for your home.
By encapsulating your crawl space, you no longer have to worry about rodents or other wild animals invading your crawl space, moisture accumulation, termites and foul smell that was haunting you for long. A Do-It-Yourself encapsulation kit will undisputedly help you to protect your home from unwanted disasters.
A Vapor Barrier in Your Crawlspace is a Healthy Addition For Your Family
1) Lower your energy costs: A crawl space encapsulation insulates the walls of your crawl space and conditions the air under your home. This results in a 10% to 20% annual savings on your power bill. Encapsulation is one of the few home repairs that pay for itself!
2) Increased home comfort: By conditioning the air in your crawl space your floors will not be cold in the wintertime. This is especially nice for hardwood floors and tile bathrooms. It also keeps your home from feeling humid and stuffy in the summertime.
3) No more musty odors: A crawl space encapsulation eliminates moisture under your home. This means no musty odors being pumped into your home through the air conditioning unit.
4) Increase the air quality of your home: By eliminating moisture under the house, you are no longer getting humid unconditioned air into your home. Encapsulation promotes air circulation throughout the home.. If your air conditioner is located under the house, it is no longer pumping mold spores throughout the home.
5) Air Conditioner lasts longer: Another way encapsulation saves you money is by improving the longevity of your heating and cooling equipment. Humidity increases the load on your air conditioner and causes trunk lines and air ducts to rust.
6) Minimize Repairs: Crawl space encapsulation eliminates moisture under your home. This moisture is the source of many problems from insulation damage, mold and mildew outbreaks, structural damage, and equipment damage from rust.
7) Eliminate insect infestations: By reducing moisture you eliminate a key ingredient that insects such as termites need to survive. No longer will your crawl space be a conducive condition to harbor ugly creepy crawlies in your home.
8) Extra storage space: Most people do not store much in the crawl space because it gets damp, rusts and damages about everything. An encapsulated crawl space becomes a moisture free environment that is perfect for storing anything and everything. Adding 1000 sq ft to 2000 sq ft of storage space always helps.
9) Increase the value of your home: An encapsulation system greatly increases the value of your home. It also makes your home easier to sell. Your home has no moisture issues for the home inspector to find and you have proof of energy efficiency and the lower energy bills your home produces.
10) Tax incentives and rebates: The federal government offers tax rebates for insulation products that improve the energy consumption of you home. Local power companies sometimes offer rebates on your power bill to improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Crawl Space Vapor Barrier Basics
The crawl space has an integral role towards a home's overall value as well as the living space above. Most homeowners don't think twice about their crawl space unless they have to make repairs to plumbing, heating ducts or house wiring. While often thought of as no more than a storage area, it also has a tremendous impact on the overall indoor air quality of the entire home.
By default, the air quality of a crawl space is typically poor. Mold, mildew, radon gas and poor energy efficiency all create several problems. The air that circulates within it eventually makes its way up through the living space. Scientific studies show that up to 50% of living space air originates from the lowest level of the home. With homeowners more concerned about their home's indoor air quality, the encapsulating of crawl spaces has become a popular solution for such problems.
A damp crawl space creates a safe harbor for harmful molds, in addition to dust mites, termites and other bugs that can infest the home. The presence of excessive moisture will also create a serious problem with the probability for the wooden structure of a home to deteriorate. Crawl space vents pose a further problem. While believed to be a solution to moisture problems, they unfortunately make the problem worse. As it turns out, the vents allow cold air and moisture in, which rises into the living area and therefore decreases the heating efficiency of the entire home.
Another all-too-common problem associated with crawl spaces is radon gas. Though it cannot be seen, smelled or tasted, radon is a radioactive gas that can contribute to poor health, including cancer. Radon gas makes its way through the earth, into the crawl space and the home's living space. According to the U.S.E.P.A., radon gas is the number one leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.
Ignoring these various conditions is not recommended for both long-term health and energy usage. Fully encapsulating a crawl space - by both sealing and insulating - is a fully efficient measure in addressing such problems. It makes sense to maintain and improve the lower level area in order to maximize healthy living conditions and home resale value.
While there are several systems for encapsulatiing, a zero perm liner system that also insulates and reflects heat provides the most benefits. With a proper floor and wall liner, the area will not only be well insulated, but will seal out moisture, bug infestation and radon gas. Other components to look for in a system include a radon gas-dispersing drain fabric, a radon gas ventilation pipe and a ceiling heat shield.
A complete system with all of the above components will allow any soil gases - including radon gas - that naturally occur under the liner system, to wick through the drain fabric and escape out through the ventilation pipe. While improved indoor air quality is the primary benefit of a sealed and insulated crawl space, the homeowner will also appreciate a bright, clean, and dry storage area; the ridding of musty smells; less energy usage; and tax credits. Contractors encapsulating crawl spaces will have more to offer to their clients when they can assure the peace of mind with improved indoor air quality.
If you crawl space is in need of repair, Crawl Space Masters can help!
- Waterproofing Crawl Space Brentwood TN
- Crawl Space Insulation Franklin TN
- Basement Waterproofing Bellevue Highlands TN
- Crawl Space Remediation Murfreesboro TN
- Crawl Space Insulation Green Hills TN
- Wet Crawl Space Hermitage TN
- Clean Crawl Space Antioch TN
- Clean Crawl Space Forest Hills TN
- Clean Crawl Space East Nashville TN
- Clean Crawl Space Whites Creek TN
- Crawl Space Encapsulation Madison TN
- Crawl Space Encapsulation Old Hickory TN
- Crawl Space Repair Forest Hills TN
- Wet Crawl Space Oak Hill TN
- Wet Crawl Space Donelson TN
- Crawl Space Encapsulation Lockeland Springs TN
- Wet Crawl Space The Gulch TN
- Crawl Space Insulation East Nashville TN
- Crawl Space Waterproofing South Nashville TN
- Wet Crawl Space North Nashville TN
- Wet Crawl Space Madison TN
- Crawl Space Insulation Sylvan Park TN
- Crawl Space Remediation Pasquo TN
- Crawl Space Moisture Control Poplarwood TN
- Crawl Space Remediation Hillwood TN
- Crawl Space Remediation West Meade TN
- Clean Crawl Space Music Row TN
- Clean Crawl Space Rolling Acres TN
- Crawl Space Moisture Control Inglewood TN
- Crawl Space Waterproofing Heritage Square TN
- Crawl Space Repair Kemper Heights TN
- Crawl Space Waterproofing Oakland Acres TN
- Wet Crawl Space Radnor TN
- Wet Crawl Space Glencliff TN
- Crawl Space Repair Perry Heights TN
- Crawl Space Repair Larkwood TN
- Crawl Space Waterproofing Talbots Corner TN
- Waterproofing Crawl Space Larchwood TN
- Clean Crawl Space Raymond Heights TN