Crawl Spaces in Chattanooga have been always around, but they became increasingly popular when homeowners started to recognize the improved convenience they have. Compared to the conventional floor setups and concrete floors, crawlspaces granted easy access to the plumbing setup and air ducts, and repairing them became effortless. Moreover, crawlspaces were also used as a storage facility. However, like any good thing in the world, crawlspaces also have its fair share of problems: trapped moisture, vermin, termites, and carpenter ants; invasion of wildlife and accumulation of foul gases to name a few.
Waterproofing Crawl Space Chattanooga
I’ve been doing crawl space encapsulation in Chattanooga for more than two decades now. A good number of correspondences I have addressed were always concerning the foul smell and bad odors that are generated from crawlspaces. It’s imperative to recognize the root causes behind such foul odors and we need to work on strategies that will eliminate the root causes. Crawlspace encapsulation is relatively a new technique which will help you to protect your crawl space, and the health of your family. However, you need to know how to choose the right encapsulation system for your home.
By encapsulating your crawl space, you no longer have to worry about rodents or other wild animals invading your crawl space, moisture accumulation, termites and foul smell that was haunting you for long. A Do-It-Yourself encapsulation kit will undisputedly help you to protect your home from unwanted disasters.
10 Reasons to Encapsulate Your Crawl Space
Crawl spaces are proven to be one of the most convenient floor setups because they can provide sufficient space for air conditioning, ventilation and heating systems, but vapor can really destroy your crawl space, and this is where a crawl space vapor barrier can help you.
Too much moisture under your home can be a real headache as this can affect the structure of your home. Mold and mildew not only destroy your crawl space but they can spread to your wooden flooring and carpet too. By installing a crawl space vapor barrier, you are leaving no room for mold and mildew to survive under your home. This way, you can maintain the strength and aesthetics of your home for several years.
A disappointing fact that I have observed is that many homeowners often underestimate the importance of installing moisture controllers and by the time they realize the importance, it will be too late. Termites and molds would have eaten up a good part of their crawl space. Second scenario is even worse: homeowners who find out that their home structure is under serious threat will install a vapor barrier, without ever considering its quality. Apart from wasting a significant amount of money, you will be left with no results because such insulations won't work well more than a few years and in some cases, only a couple of months.
If you do not miss the nitty-gritty of a professional installation, you can lead a healthy life in your home for several decades.
· Measurement: Before buying the barrier, you need to measure the length, width and height of your crawl space. This will give you an estimate on how much barrier sheet you need. It's always a good idea to buy some extra so that you won't run short on materials even if you wasted some sheet.
· Energy Efficiency: There are two benefits in buying energy efficient liner sheet. They will help you to save a good amount on energy bills, which will provide you excellent comfort in your home and the second advantage is the tax benefits. I have noticed that some store owners stress on the cheaper price and mislead their buyers on the long-term benefits of energy efficient sheets. You will be using them for several years and an energy efficient insulation will cut down your energy bills significantly all these years.
· Product Quality: Ideally, sheets with 60mil thickness provide you the best protection. Your sheet should provide you a minimum warranty of 20 years and it should be antimicrobial, rodent proof and termite proof. If you can't see these certifications on the sheets, you most likely are going to face a huge loss.
These are some of the important things to be considered when you are on the lookout for a crawl space vapor barrier. Needless to say, maintaining your home is the best idea compared to buying a new one because you can significantly improve the living quality of your home for a much lower cost. By installing energy efficient barriers with tax benefits, you are also fulfilling your social responsibility of conserving energy.
Basement Finishing Ideas For The Do-It-Yourselfer
The foundation of your house depends on a strong basement. Basement waterproofing prevents water from penetrating into the basement area Waterproofing your basement is mandatory or else it could lead to structural damages and collapsing drywall.
Given below are 5 reasons why basement waterproofing is essential:
" Structural damage: Water seepage is very common problem in basements; especially if you live in wet areas with moist soil. If you do not take proper preventive measures for this problem then it could lead to structural damages to your property. You find seepage mainly in the corners where the wall meets the floor. This process is typically slow and won't show immediate consequences but if ignored then it could cause major damages such as bowed walls and cracked foundation. Basement waterproofing is very important to treat wet basements. Timely preventions can save you from disastrous structural damages.
" Infestations: If you live in an area where there are black molds, then it becomes absolutely essential to waterproof your basement. Damp areas are a breeding ground for waterborne contaminants such as black mold. All kinds of mold can grow between walls and under padding of wet carpets; the worst kinds are the black molds. It is very toxic and can cause death. If basement waterproofing is not done in time them these infestations keep breeding in the wet areas which can cause major health hazards. You may even have to abandon the house if the professionals are not able to take care of the infestations.
" Natural calamities: If you live in an area where there is heavy rainfall or in hurricane areas, basement waterproofing becomes very essential. These areas are prone to flooding; as a result, water is very likely to enter the basement. Rainwater can penetrate through cracks in the wall causing seepage. Also when flood water collects around the foundation walls, water collects in small pockets in the soil next to the foundation and starts forming hydrostatic pressure. Over the time this pressure increases until the water is pushed through the wall. Thus basement waterproofing becomes necessary in such areas.
" Damage to property: Most of us keep a lot of stuff in the basement like furniture, books, equipments, etc. sometimes there are workshops or even wine cellars down in the basement. But if the basement is not waterproofed then water seepage can cause a lot of damage to your property. Wooden furniture rots when it gets damp. Expensive items could be damaged due to dampness. It you plan to use your basement for important purposes then it becomes even more essential to waterproof your basement.
" Sloping and grading: It's important to know if the ground around your house is sloping away from your foundation. The soil outside should meet the walls; if it doesn't then the water can penetrate between the gaps. In this case you have to hire a professional grader to help slope the ground downhill and away from your house. But as preventive measures it is best to waterproof your basement just in case you do not detect the sloping around your house instantly.
Basement waterproofing can be expensive but it's worth the cost to prevent you from irreparable damages in the future.
If you crawl space is in need of repair, Crawl Space Masters can help!
- Crawl Space Repair Clifton Hills TN
- Crawl Space Insulation Piney Woods TN
- Clean Crawl Space Bushtown TN
- Basement Waterproofing Orchard Village TN
- Crawl Space Moisture Control East Lake TN
- Crawl Space Moisture Control Hixson TN
- Crawl Space Repair Ridgeside TN
- Clean Crawl Space Red Bank TN
- Wet Crawl Space Alpine Heights TN
- Basement Waterproofing Oak Hill TN
- Clean Crawl Space East Ridge TN
- Crawl Space Waterproofing Hill City TN
- Crawl Space Repair Northside TN
- Crawl Space Waterproofing Bal Habor TN
- Crawl Space Moisture Control Eastdale TN
- Waterproofing Crawl Space Northbriar TN
- Wet Crawl Space Glass Farms TN
- Wet Crawl Space Gaylon Heights TN
- Crawl Space Insulation Crestway TN
- Crawl Space Encapsulation Sunshine TN
- Crawl Space Moisture Control Mooremont Manor TN
- Clean Crawl Space Concord Audobon TN
- Crawl Space Encapsulation Avondale TN
- Wet Crawl Space Tyner TN
- Crawl Space Repair Orchard Knob TN
- Clean Crawl Space Colonial Shores TN
- Crawl Space Remediation North Shore TN
- Clean Crawl Space Stuart Heights TN
- Crawl Space Encapsulation Rivermont TN
- Crawl Space Insulation Norcross Hills TN
- Crawl Space Waterproofing Waldon TN
- Crawl Space Waterproofing Fairmont TN
- Clean Crawl Space Falling Water TN
- Crawl Space Moisture Control Missionary Ridge TN
- Waterproofing Crawl Space Bluff View TN